Setting clear and flexible return policies is the best way to increase your customer experience and build loyalty between you and your buyers!
Unlike in real stores, customers cannot see, touch or try the products when they are making online purchases. Therefore, returns are part of online selling.
Note that there are two kinds of return policies on Kaymu:
– The 72h return policy applied to all sellers
The 72h return policy is a minimum return policy which allows buyers who have received a broken, damaged or wrong product to return it within 72h after reception. It applies to all items bought on Kaymu and to all sellers, who must comply with this policy.
– Return policy fixed by the seller:
When listing a product online, sellers also have the flexibility to set their own return policy for specific items.
Why defining a return policy?
Setting a clear return policy can be a means to increase sales and maintain customer loyalty. You should keep in mind that the best way to avoid returns and establish good customer relations is to advertise products as accurately and comprehensively as possible.
- Limit the customer’s risk: By setting a clear return policy, customers will be more willing to buy from your shop as they will be able to return the product if it does not correspond to their expectations. Customers are more likely to make purchases online if they are sure that they can return a product
- Stand behind your product: Allowing returns and refunds shows that you are confident in the quality of your products and that you are willing to guarantee this quality to your customers. Buyers can be suspicious regarding a product when the retailer does not offer this kind of guarantee
- Offer an excellent shopping experience: Even if a customer is not satisfied with the acquired product, a generous return policy can turn a deceptive purchase into a marketing opportunity. If the buyer has the possibility to return the product, then his shopping experience will be perceived as good, which will increase the chances of selling
How to create efficient returns policies?
When setting your return policy, make sure to detail the three following aspects:
- Specify the return type:
- Exchange : offering the possibility to exchange the purchased product with a similar product will increase your chances of completing a sale
- Cash Refunds: refunding your customers for the returned products will decrease the risk attached to the purchase for the buyer, and will increase your chances of selling
- Set a buyer-friendly time limit:
Buyers are more comfortable with the idea of buying from a seller who offers larger return periods (for example, 14 to 21 days after reception of the product). It turns out that items with friendly return policies are generally the most sold on the platform
- Determine who will bear the shipment costs:
Clearly state on your listing whether or not the buyer will have to bear the shipment costs. While making the customer pay for returns decreases your operating costs, it also creates an additional obstacle that might negatively impact the customers’ buying decision
Remember that sellers must be complying with return policies. sellers who will not respect the terms of their return policies will delisted from Kaymu. We are taking this precaution in order to protect and improve the customer experience on Kaymu. Make sure you remain reachable to your buyers who have bought from you, and be able to answer their questions to avoid any misunderstanding during the transaction.